Markos brings us up to date.
So what have we learned the last 24 hours?
One mind of the White House – We Should All Be Scared to Death!
Terrorism is such a horrific danger to the very existence of our republic that we must
- torture prisoners,
- suspend all manners of constitutional rights,
- wage war against countries that had nothing to do with 9/11,
- spy illegally on US citizens,
- and refrain from criticizing … lest we give “aid and comfort” to the enemy.
The other mind of the White House – Nothin’ To Worry Your Little Heads About!
But, business concerns take precedence above all.
As Bush said:
“This deal wouldn’t go forward if we were concerned about the security for the United States of America.”
That quote from the President can be taken two ways. Do you see them?
- If we cared much about the security of this country, no way would we let this deal go forward.
- If this deal brought up any special security concerns it would not go forward.
Maybe #1 is what they mean.
But if they want us to believe #2, there is a whole lot of explaining yet to do – both about how they know that, and about why the list of unacceptable behaviors at the top of this post is so necessary.